My BIG SHOW FASHION SHOW Experience Part I

WOW! So much has happened since I last posted to my website! Shame on me. Oh well. Let’s start with the BIG SUR FASHION SHOW.

I had been asked to be the Costume Designer for Jourdain Barton’s SALOME, a production that would run through August 2014. My mind immediately went to a more avant garde aesthetic. Within a month, I learned about the BIG SUR FASHION SHOW, an exclusive Upcycling (using recycled materials) event, and entered for both days of the event. The idea was to show designs based on SALOME in one event and MACBETH (also directed by Jourdain Barton, costumes by Me) in the other event. I waited with baited breath to hear if I had been accepted to one or the other nights. On Easter, I got the call. I was IN! I was elated and not the least bit troubled that the event was reduced to one night.

I had to choose between SALOME and MACBETH and I went with the latter. It was an easy choice for me. Since working on the MACBETH produciton, I had toyed with the idea of making a Duct Tape KILT for a MACBETHEAN… something… but I didn’t know what. Now the answer was clear. I would do a little 2 minute act based on Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. The act was called “THE POST-PUNK MACBETHS”.

This post will Cover the process of making the POST-PUNK MACBETH DUCT TAPE KILT.

20140509_113357

 

 

 

 

 

I started with gathering of the materials mostly from Last Chance Mercantile in Marina, CA. Other materials I either already had or received from others.

 

20140522_100302

 

 

 

 

 

I constructed a base later for the duct tape to adhere to. This was a shower curtain. I covered it in package strapping tape in both horizontal and vertical directions to build in strength. I then layered black duct tape with a slight overlap. Ultimately, I needed 220 inches of “fabric” length. In order to achieve that, I created 3 lengths of this “fabric” and attached it together with grommets for strength.

 

20140531_135627

 

 

 

 

 

Next I created a design on the flat lengths of “fabric”. Once done with that, I slowly measured out the 3 inch pleats, leaving a flat panel at each end of the “fabric”.

 

20140601_171620

 

 

 

 

 

In lieu of stitching with a sewing machine, I opted to “stitch” the pleats down with heavy duty staples. This added strength at the waistline, held the many layers of “fabrics” and stabilized the pleating.

 

20140601_171940

 

 

 

 

 

First row finished. There were three rows of “stitching”.

 

20140602_093634

 

 

 

 

Here’s a peak at the three rows of “stitching” staples. Through out the pleating process, I kept the kilt on a folding card table, and stacked heavy books on the pleats to keep them perfectly straight and crisp. The hardest part of this was not reading the books laying there in front of me.

 

20140605_194043

 

 

 

 

Another look at the design.

In later posts, I’ll upload photos of the fashion show and the final products of my labors.